Step 1: Submit Your Application

Apply for admission as soon as you think about transferring to UB. It’s best to file all application materials early in the semester before your intended transfer date.

Apply Online

Applicants can apply via the SUNY Application or the Coalition Application. A $50 nonrefundable fee is required. Please note veterans and spouses of veterans will have their application fee waived.

To ensure your timely graduation, transfer students who have completed (or are in the process of completing) 60 or more credits should select an intended major (not “undecided/exploratory”). Visit UB’s Undergraduate Catalog to see a list of all of UB’s academic programs. On your application, select an intended major that interests you.

Priority Deadlines

  • Fall Scholarship Deadline: Mar. 15
  • Fall Application Priority Deadline: May 1*
  • Spring Application Priority Deadline: Dec. 1*

Some programs have earlier deadlines. See Admission to Degree Programs for more information.

*Admissions consideration is on a space-available basis thereafter.

SUNY Transfers

If you are transferring to UB from another SUNY institution, visit the SUNY Transfer Policies page to learn about SUNY rules, guidelines and procedures. You can view all of the SUNY transfer information, including SUNY transfer paths, in the Transfer Students section of the SUNY website.

Spring Semester Transfers

Students transferring to UB for the spring semester who have already filed the FAFSA to receive financial aid for the fall semester at their current school should contact the Federal Processing Center to update the school information listed on the FAFSA.

To update your FAFSA, you will need to add “State University of New York at Buffalo” for the school name. UB’s federal school code is 002837. You can make updates through the FAFSA website or by telephone at 800-433-3243.

Dual Admission Students

Dual admission programs ensure a smooth transfer to UB by providing accurate information about meeting UB’s major requirements with transfer courses. If you are a student enrolled in a UB dual admission program at one of the community colleges below, your transcripts will be sent to UB on your behalf. You will not submit a UB application when you transfer. Instead, you will receive an Intent to Enroll (ITE) form in the semester prior to your transfer. When your completed ITE form is received by UB, you will receive notice of how to proceed with registration and orientation. To sign up for dual admission, contact the admissions office at any of these participating colleges:

  • Erie Community College
  • Genesee Community College
  • Jamestown Community College
  • Monroe Community College

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Transfer Applicants

Applicants who were previously enrolled in EOP or a similar program (e.g., HEOP, SEEK, College Discovery) are eligible for transfer admission.

In order to receive consideration for transfer admission to the University at Buffalo, students must present a strong record of college study, earning a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. However, requirements may vary depending on academic program.

Verification of previous participation in an EOP-type program from each school attended is required. Applicants from a CUNY campus will be considered for EOP if they were eligible for such a program but were not selected through the lottery system.