High School Students: Tips for Prospective Freshmen
It’s never too early to begin thinking about college. At UB, we recognize that choosing the right college or university is one of the most important decisions you will ever make.
Preparing for college is extremely important, but how to do it doesn’t have to be a mystery. The following timeline will give you an overview of the steps you should be thinking about as you prepare. And if you ever have any questions, be sure to contact us—we’re here to help!
UB supports SUNY’s decision to temporarily suspend SAT and ACT requirements for admissions for the 2021-2022 academic year. This temporary change of admissions eligibility requirements applies to the spring 2021, fall 2021 and spring 2022 cycles. Students can share their scores as part of their application if they choose by selecting this option on their application. UB welcomes students from all backgrounds and each application goes through the same holistic review process. For more information, review our test-optional FAQ.
- Fall: Explore and discuss colleges that offer majors in your areas of interest.
- Spring: Explore the visit options of colleges you are interested in, many virtual opportunities are available.
- Throughout the year: Research colleges and visit options. Look into scholarship opportunities. A good place to start is fastweb.com.
- Spring: Participate in virtual visit opportunities, information sessions and one on one options to ask your questions for the colleges you’re interested in.
- Late spring: Carefully select courses for senior year, making sure that you meet all requirements for graduation and cover any prerequisites for your potential major (e.g., for engineering or business management).
- Fall: Complete your applications. Different colleges may have different deadlines and procedures, so be sure to stay on top of them.
- After Oct. 1: Complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- December: Make sure all applications are complete and submitted. To be considered for merit-based scholarships at UB, you must apply and submit all required application materials by Dec. 15.
- Spring: After receiving your acceptance notifications, make your choice! May 1 is the deposit deadline for UB and for many other colleges.
Last updated: December 04, 2020 9:24 am EST