Understanding the financial aid process.
Financial aid is money that helps students pay for college. The financial aid process can be complex, but in general, the amount of aid you will receive is determined through the following steps.
Important Date! The FAFSA application opens Oct. 1.
UB’s FAFSA School Code: 002837
- Students and families fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The FAFSA collects the information needed to determine your eligibility for federal financial aid programs, including Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), Federal Work-Study Program, Perkins Loans and Federal Direct Student Loans.
- The FAFSA produces a figured called the Expected Family Contribution (EFC). EFC is a measure of your family’s financial strength; it is not the amount you will have to pay for college.
- Your EFC is subtracted from an institution’s cost of attendance. This math determines what need-based aid you will receive.
There is much more to know about financing your college education. Please visit the Financial Aid website to learn more. We also encourage you to meet one-on-one with a financial aid advisor and sign up for our financial aid virtual workshops. Head to our Visit page to see these opportunities.
Filling Out the FAFSA
- How to apply: Apply online.
- Important Date! The FAFSA is available beginning Oct. 1. File your FAFSA as soon as possible to be considered for the best financial aid package.
- UB’s School Code: 002837
After you apply:
Once your FAFSA is processed, you can view and print your Student Aid Report (SAR) online. Your SAR will indicate your Expected Family Contribution for federal student aid programs as calculated by the federal processor. UB’s Financial Aid Office receives this information when you file, so it is not necessary to send us your SAR. Financial aid packages are mailed beginning in March.
Information for NYS residents:
A separate application is required for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). You will initiate it when you complete the FAFSA. Once you reach the confirmation page, click on “New York Residents Only” to file for TAP. UB’s TAP code is 1010.
Last updated: August 11, 2021 1:33 pm EST