Financial Aid

How to finance your education.

If you need help financing your education, you can apply for financial aid by filling out a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online. The FAFSA is an application that collects the information needed to determine your eligibility for all of the financial aid programs sponsored by the federal government. These include Pell Grants, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), Federal Work-Study Program, Perkins Loans and Federal Direct Student Loans.

There are many options for both government-funded and private sources of financial assistance. The basic kinds of financial assistance are:

  • grants: These do not need to be paid back.
  • loans: These do need to be paid back.
  • scholarships: Usually based on scholastic merit, these do not need to be paid back.
  • part-time employment: Earn money by participating in the Federal Work-Study Program or pursuing part-time job opportunities both on and off campus. Visit the Career Services website for more information.

Filling Out the FAFSA

You can fill out the FAFSA online. The FAFSA is available beginning Oct. 1. Be sure to file the FAFSA as soon as possible to be considered for the best financial aid package. The federal title IV school code for the University at Buffalo is 002837.

Once your FAFSA is processed, you can view and print your Student Aid Report (SAR) online. Your SAR will indicate your expected family contribution for federal student aid programs as calculated by the federal processor. UB’s financial aid office receives this information electronically when you file, so it is not necessary to send us your SAR. Financial aid awards will be mailed beginning in March.

If you are a New York State resident, you will initiate the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application process by completing the FAFSA. A separate application is required for TAP. This can be filed electronically while you are filing your FAFSA. Once you reach the confirmation page, click on “New York Residents Only” to file for TAP. UB’s TAP code is 1010.

For more information about financing your education, please visit the Office of Financial Aid website.

Last updated: July 16, 2019 2:50 pm EST