Get started now.
Stay ahead and get organized using our suggested timelines for junior and senior year.
- Encourage your student to take AP courses.
- Finish identifying schools of interest.
- Begin applying to colleges. UB’s application opens in August.
- Make sure your student submits all application components by the stated deadlines. Tip: Create an email address just for the college admissions process. This will keep everything organized and in one account that you and your student can share.
- Remind your student to give recommendation letter writers ample notice.
- Discuss career and major options with your student.
- If your student is unsure of what to study, encourage them to take a personality or career assessment.
- Help your student stay organized by keeping copies of everything.
- Apply for as many scholarships as possible.
- Remind your student to keep their grades up.
- File the FAFSA.
- Plan your finances now, together.
- Investigate financial aid options, loans, grants and scholarships.
- Attend college fairs.
- Check your email and the mailbox for college decision letters, which can begin arriving mid-winter.
- Review all financial aid award letters. Call financial aid offices if you have questions.
- Send your student’s enrollment/tuition and/or housing deposits by May 1.
- Start exploring ways to connect with colleges.
- Encourage your student to find a job, internship and explore extracurricular experiences in the real world.
- Be sure your student has submitted a final high school transcript.
- Prepare for orientation.
- Get ready to send your student on the next step of their journey!
Last updated: June 21, 2023 4:57 pm EST