Contact Us | Applicant Status Page


What Parents Want to Know

Your questions, answered.

Answers to the most common questions parents ask the Office of Admissions.

  • How does my student accept their admissions offer, and what are the next steps to enroll?

    The first step to enroll is to pay the $150 tuition deposit. Your student can do so by visiting the Make Your Deposit page on the Office of Admissions website. Then, they can follow the Next Steps to Enroll.

  • When will my student hear from their advisor and get their class schedule? How do they register for classes?
    • Completing the Orientation Data Form is the first step in your student’s fall course registration. Students provide their academic background and interests to their academic advisor through this form and register for a required orientation program.
    • As part of the orientation process, your student will be guided to register for their classes. Course registration timeline, process and student experience differs by major and/or special program. The chart on this page will be shared with your student to help them know what to expect and when in terms of course registration for their major or program.
    • Generally, new first-year students are registered for fall classes sometime between May 1 and July 1. Some majors/programs are given a partial schedule, and new students are instructed to register themselves for the remaining classes (e.g., UB Seminar course and, sometimes, a UB Pathways course). New transfer students register for fall classes with their academic advisor’s assistance sometime between April 1 and Sept. 1.
  • How can I gain access to my student’s records and information?

    All UB communication and information, including bills and grades, are sent directly to your student. We encourage you to communicate with your student so you can get information directly from them and help your student continue to take responsibility for these important matters. This policy is in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

  • Why does my student have to pay for health insurance?

    Health insurance coverage is required for all full-time undergraduate students (students enrolled in 12+ credit hours). Please review your private plan to determine if your student qualifies to submit a waiver: Ability to seek all medical services in Western New York (e.g., physician visits, X-rays, mental health care, lab work, prescriptions). Students must have comparable or better coverage than UB’s student plan.

    • Students who want to enroll in the student domestic insurance plan must be enrolled in one credit hour if they are matriculated into a program or enrolled in six or more credit hours if they are a non-matriculated student.
    • Students who have their own health insurance are required to complete an online waiver annually at the beginning of each academic year. If your student is entering UB in the spring semester, visit the Health Insurance website for deadline dates. Students who do not submit a waiver will be uploaded to the insurance plan by the deadline.
    • If your student loses their alternative insurance coverage at any time, they should contact the Student Health Insurance Office immediately.
    • More information can be found on the Student Guide.
  • How does my student apply for financial aid?

    To apply for federal financial aid for the 2021-22 academic year, your student should submit the 2021-22 FAFSA and click on “Apply for Aid Using the FAFSA Form.” Make sure to include UB’s federal school code (002837) on the FAFSA in order for UB to receive it and process it. To determine if your student is eligible for any New York State aid, there is a link to the New York State aid application on the FAFSA’s submission confirmation page.

  • How does my student accept their financial aid offer?

    Students will be able to view their financial aid package through the HUB Student Center under the Financial Aid tile. Students can view the instructions for how to view, accept or decline aid on the Financial Aid website.

  • What are my billing options?

    The payment plan is available for both the fall and spring terms (not summer or winter sessions). If your student would like to enroll in a payment plan, they must enroll at the beginning of each term. Please note that they will not be automatically enrolled for the following semester. The payment plan is not a loan program, and the service is provided interest-free. For additional information, please visit the Student Accounts website.

  • What will the fall 2021 semester look like due to COVID-19?

    The university’s goal is to return to in-person classes this fall. Some classes will continue in hybrid or remote formats. For additional information about the fall 2021 semester, please visit the Academic Resources and Updates for Students page on the Academic Affairs website. Stay up-to-date on developments regarding fall 2021 on the COVID-19 Planning and Response website.

  • Does my student need to receive the COVID-19 vaccine to live/work/study on UB’s campuses?

    UB students will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 to attend classes in person in the fall as part of an effort to boost vaccination rates on SUNY campuses, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Monday, April 10. The mandate for all 64 campuses in the SUNY system is pending final approval of the vaccines by the Food and Drug Administration, and will also require the approval of the SUNY Board of Trustees. The vaccines are approved for emergency authorization use only. For up-to-date information about the COVID-19 vaccination and UB, please see the FAQs on the COVID-19 Planning and Response website.

  • Can my family visit campus in person?

    In-person campus visits and tours have resumed for admitted students as of April 9. Prospective students and their families may visit campus beginning in June. For more information and to register for a tour, please see the Admissions Visit page.

  • What housing options are available? Can my student request a roommate, and how do they select one? When will they get their room assignment? When is move-in day?
    • Students are eligible for a variety of options based on their high school graduation date. For the 2021-22 academic year, first-year students who graduate high school in 2021 can choose from several complexes including Ellicott, Governors and South Campus Halls, with each offering a variety of room configurations. In addition, Campus Living offers a number of Living Learning Communities, an opportunity to reside with like-minded students and attend programs and events specifically designed around shared interests.
    • When applying for on-campus housing, students will be given the option to create and/or join roommate groups. This allows students to live with specific individuals, subject to room availability.
    • Students can begin applying for 2021-22 housing early in the spring 2021 semester and submit roommate groups and location preferences. Applicants are typically notified of their assignment in July and have the option to submit a room change request if they are not satisfied.
    • Move-in day for 2021-22 is still being finalized. Due to the evolving nature of the COVID-19 pandemic, housing information provided is subject to change. Please visit the Campus Living website for updates.
  • What technology will my student need?

    Visit the UB Information Technology website for information on UBIT services, your student’s UB email, software downloads, equipment and more. Have your student watch the Student Technology Guide video to learn how to get started with their tech!

  • What is Welcome Weekend and when is it?

    Welcome Weekend is the official kick-off to the fall semester for new students. During Welcome Weekend, new students prepare for academics at UB, explore UB resources and connect with other students. Learn more about Welcome Weekend.

  • How does my student accept their credit from AP/IB/college courses in high school?

    Students should designate UB (using SUNY Center Buffalo/School Code 2925) at the time they take an exam or when requesting score reports for UB. Students can request evaluation of accepted alternative credit types for possible UB credit awards by having official documentation and score reports sent directly to the Office of Admissions, University at Buffalo, 12 Capen Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260-1660. To view scores accepted by the university, please refer to our alternative test credit charts.